Whole-Learner Senior Associate, America Forward
Grant-funded position: 18-24 months
ABOUT NEW PROFIT
New Profit is a nonprofit venture philanthropy organization that backs breakthrough social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit’s strategy focuses on building a breakthrough portfolio of grantee-partners to take on entrenched systemic challenges in America, including by driving resources and support to Black, Indigenous, and Latino/a/x social entrepreneurs who have unique proximity to solutions, but face stark racial funding disparities in philanthropy; and investing in social entrepreneurs with new systems change models across a range of issues. Learn more at www.newprofit.org.
ABOUT AMERICA FORWARD
America Forward is the DC-based nonpartisan policy initiative of New Profit. America Forward's mission is to unite social innovators with policymakers to translate local impact into national change. America Forward advances an education, workforce development, poverty alleviation, and social innovation public policy agenda that advances equity, fosters innovation, and rewards results. Staff of America Forward direct a Coalition of more than 100 leading social innovation organizations that champion innovative, effective, and equitable solutions to our country's most pressing social problems. Our America Forward Coalition members are achieving measurable outcomes in more than 15,000 communities nationwide, touching the lives of 9 million Americans, and driving progress in early learning, K-12 and post-secondary education, workforce development, poverty alleviation, national service, social innovation, public health, pay for success and evidence-based policy. America Forward believes that our nation's social innovators can lead the way to unlocking America's potential. Together, we have leveraged $1.7 billion for evidence based social innovation and have driven millions of federal resources toward programs that are achieving measurable results for those who need them most.
ABOUT THE POSITION
America Forward’s Whole Learner Senior Associate will be responsible for supporting America Forward’s whole learner work (including approaches to early learning and K-12 education that focus on social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative approaches to learning centered on the whole child), with a focus on federal legislative advocacy efforts on our Advancing Whole-Learner Education Initiative. In close coordination with America Forward’s Advocacy Director, Government Affairs Director, and senior consultants, the Whole-Learner Senior Associate will advocate for America Forward’s whole-learner policy agenda by: conducting outreach to policymakers on Capitol Hill, meeting with congressional staff, planning Hill briefings, staffing Hill Days with America Forward Coalition organizations, conducting outreach to the Department of Education and other federal agencies, and engaging with education and whole-learner funders. The Senior Associate will also analyze whole-learner education federal activity, research, and thought-leadership pieces related to America Forward’s whole-learner education policy agenda, including topics such as social and emotional learning, trauma-informed practices, and whole-child education. The Manager will also attend and report out on Congressional hearings/mark-ups/briefings, introduction and action of relevant bills, congressional meetings, federal agency initiatives, and activities by key partners in the whole-learner space; and serve as a liaison with Coalition organizations on behalf of America Forward’s whole-learner education policy priorities.
The Senior Associate will have a passion for education equity and whole-learner education. They will support America Forward Coalition’s policy development and federal collective advocacy efforts including supporting the education task force, America Forward’s Advocacy Institute training offerings, and America Forward’s field engagement and communication efforts. A skilled communicator, adept writer, researcher, and self-starter with strong organizational and execution skills, the Senior Associate will synthesize complex ideas, research policy issues, and plan and support the execution of internal and external events. This position is a full-time position based in Washington, DC. and is dedicated to America Forward’s Advancing Whole Learner Education Initiative. This project will last 18 - 24 months and offers will reflect this time frame.
The Senior Associate will report to Heather Rieman, the Advocacy Director of America Forward, meaningfully engage with the entire America Forward team and external consultants, and play a vital role in ensuring America Forward achieves its ambitious advocacy goals, particularly as it relates to Whole Learner Education.
America Forward’s Whole-Learner Senior Associate will:
- Conduct congressional outreach on behalf of America Forward’s whole-learner education policy priorities, and conduct outreach to the Department of Education and other federal agencies influencing early childhood and K-12 education. The Senior Associate will strategize this outreach under the supervision of America Forward’s Advocacy Director, and in close collaboration with America Forward’s Government Affairs Director.
- Coordinate messaging and strategic engagement on Capitol Hill and serve as a lead resource to America Forward team on Capitol Hill and other activities related to America Forward’s whole-learner education policy agenda including congressional hearings/mark-ups/briefings, introduction and action of relevant bills, congressional meetings, federal agency initiatives, and activities by key partners.
- Help to strategize, plan, and support execution of Hill briefings and Hill Days for America Forward and its Coalition members in order to amplify the whole-learner work and actively cultivate relationships and expand the network of congressional and other champions for whole-learner education issues.
- Support the Advocacy Director and Advocacy Manager in developing advocacy trainings and capacity building activities for America Forward Coalition members, including helping to lead a whole-learner education track as part of the Advocacy Institute.
- Contribute to America Forward’s ongoing message development, branding, and communications strategies; generate content for America Forward across all communications platforms; and help create public engagement materials (ex: op-eds, press materials, external speeches, social media content, etc.) that help shape the dialogue around whole learner education.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information about America Forward, please visit: www.americaforward.org. This search is being led by RCG. To apply, please visit New Profit’s career page.
We are currently hiring for Associate (starting salary: $68,850) level candidates. The level is commensurate with years of experience and skill set.
As an equal opportunity employer, New Profit recognizes the power of a diverse community and strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
New Profit prioritizes the safety of its employees, and as a result, requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination(s) as a term of employment for all employees. The organization may make exceptions to this requirement in certain limited circumstances for medical or religious reasons.
Please no phone calls or direct emails.