Associate Partner, Economic Mobility
POSITION OVERVIEW – Associate Partner, Economic Mobility
New Profit is looking for a strategic Associate Partner who is an analytical problem-solver with strong relationship management capabilities. The Associate Partner will be responsible for supporting the Economic Mobility portfolio, including the Post-Secondary Innovation for Equity (PIE) initiative, and working with the Economic Mobility eco-system building team.
ABOUT ECONOMIC MOBILITY AT NEW PROFIT
New Profit’s approach to supporting Economic Mobility is grounded in the organization’s core venture philanthropy work to accelerate the impact and scale of the most promising non-profit solutions advancing equity in the education-to-employment system and more broadly in service of Economic Mobility. Through New Profit’s Catalyze and Build support models, social entrepreneurs are selected for unrestricted capital, learning communities, coaching, and robust technical assistance from New Profit’s most senior partners. We anticipate growing our Economic Mobility portfolio over the next several years. One current set of investments is the Post Secondary Innovations for Equity initiative which is investing in five proximate entrepreneurs in our Build Portfolio (four year initiative) who are aiming to reshape the education to employment system in America so that our recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic is equitable, and the economy of the future works for everyone. In 2023, New Profit will also select a set of eight entrepreneurs to join an Economic Mobility Catalyze Cohort, a one year cohort based capacity building program.
New Profit also invests in a deep ecosystem-building model intending to lift up learnings from social entrepreneurs in order to influence systemic investments and policy change. One example of this is the Future of Work Grand Challenge. New Profit has recently launched an Economic Mobility Advisory Council of knowledgeable and influential executives and leaders to inform ongoing strategic visioning and contribute to our field-building and thought-leadership goals.
The Associate Partner will work directly with both the Portfolio team and Field Leadership team. The Associate Partner may also support the work of the Advisory Council, supporting development of materials for meetings, and providing ongoing support to the Council. Lastly, the Associate Partner will support a community of proximate workers through New Profit’s XPERT Worker Advisory Board.
Post-Secondary Innovation for Equity (~30% of time)
The position and its associated activities described below will represent 33% of the Associate Partner’s time. This work will focus on a range of critical activities related to the four year Post-secondary Innovation for Equity (PIE II) Initiative and work most closely with a New Profit “Deal Partner” leading the PIE initiative. “Deal Partners” are senior leaders on our Portfolio Investing team directly working with our Build-level grantees. The Associate Partner will play a critical role in working with the PIE initiative Lead Deal Partner in supporting the success of this Initiative. Activities in this position will include the following:
- Gather input from the PIE grantees about what will most support their needs and convene the community one to two times a year over the course of the Initiative’s four years. Responsibilities to include:
- Co-design learning community agendas
- Develop materials
- Gather feedback from Social Entrepreneurs
- Co-facilitate as needed by PIE cohort lead
- Capture lessons learned and develop syntheses of sessions
- Coordinate with other team members in support of convening logistics
Deal Support & Portfolio Insights
- The PIE Associate Partner will work with the Partner overseeing the PIE initiative to lead an internal community of learning which will regularly surface and capture our insights and learning from across the PIE cohort of organizations and codify and share these with internal and external audiences.
- The Associate Partner may be asked to play a “Deal Second” role, providing time-bound or ongoing support to individual grantees in partnership with the Deal Partner.
Cross-team Communication & Stewardship
- The PIE Associate Partner will play a critical role in supporting streamlined communication and collaboration between the Economic Mobility Field leadership team and the Portfolio team members engaged with the PIE Build grantees to ensure effective stewardship of the initiative’s field leadership and capacity building objectives.
Economic Mobility Catalyze Cohort (~35% of time)
The position and its associated activities described below will represent 30% of the Associate Partner’s time. The Associate Partner will work closely with the Catalyze team to support relationship building, project management, and implementation of a year long cohort-based capacity-building program including in-person and virtual convenings for a set of eight early stage economic mobility entrepreneurs. Core responsibilities will include:
- Investment Selection:
- Participate in and coordinate with Investment Selection team to review and diligence organizations for prospective investment in the Catalyze portfolio
- Provide support and insight throughout the decision making process, including gathering input from the Worker Advisory Board (see below)
- Assess organizations on the dimensions of leadership, impact, sustainability, and overall fit
- Capacity building supports and learning community management:
- Cultivate strong relationships with social entrepreneurs and potentially engage in 2:1 strategic advisory calls in partnership with the Catalyze cohort lead partner
- Oversee planning and execution of high quality capacity building programming in the form of virtual and in person convenings that leverage New Profit’s insights and pattern recognition about organizational development and growth
Economic Mobility Field Leadership (~30% of time)
The position and its associated activities described below will represent up to 30% of the Associate Partner’s time. This work will focus on a range of critical activities related to the intersection of New Profit’s portfolio and ecosystem-building work in Economic Mobility.
Suport on ecosystem building could include:
- Relationship Management, Project Management, and Strategy Support:
- Worker Advisory Board: Lead and manage a community of mor than 50 proximate adult-learners. Host and develop quarterly learning sessions, conduct outreach and project management for Advisory projects leveraging Worker Advisory Board, developing and executing work plans and reporting. Develop and execute on a strategy to onboard new members on a rolling basis. Lead the relationships with internal NP partners as related to the Board.
- Communications Support: Coordinate with the Communications team to provide insights on Worker Advisory Board, and other initiatives. Provide review of content and support special projects – including research, media engagement preparation, planning and anticipation, and responsiveness to needs relative to upcoming meetings and events.
- Policy coordination: Coordinate strategy alignment between Economic Mobility Portfolio, the Worker Advisory Board, and America Forward- New Profit’s Policy arm on policy issues.
- Evaluation and Assessment: Contribute to the ongoing improvement of New Profit’s programming and systems; capture best practices and lessons learned; contribute to the development of new frameworks and tools to codify New Profit’s knowledge and practices.
- Coordination: Coordinate within the Economic Mobility team and organization-wide to synthesize key learnings and opportunities and contribute to broader Economic Mobility and New Profit-wide strategy development.
The Associate Partner will be managed by a Lead Partner on the Portfolio team and will have regular touchpoints with the Economic Mobility Partner Lead, the PIE Partner Lead and key portfolio team members.
- Seven to ten years of relevant professional experience (e.g., nonprofits, philanthropy, management consulting, venture capital, project management);
- Experience or interest supporting initiatives focused on racial equity and proximity, and elevating leaders of color in the social sector. (see New Profit’s Inclusive Impact report here).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously manage multiple projects/people and effectively prioritize time and tasks;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of reputable stakeholders, both oral and written; in particular, skills with group facilitation
- Excellent listening skills; ability to distill insights from listening and make recommendations to the team to inform current and future program design
- Creative, learning-oriented problem solver;
- Effective at building internal and external relationships and collaborative work environments;
- Highly organized and detail-oriented;
- Adaptable and able to manage multiple, changing priorities and stakeholders;
- Collaborative team player willing to go above and beyond for the success of New Profit and its portfolio of investments;
- Engaging, clear verbal and written communication skills;
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
STARTING SALARY: $105,000, commensurate with experience
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please go to New Profit’s Career page and submit a resume and cover letter.