Data Associate, Portfolio Investing Team
LOCATION: Boston, MA or Washington D.C.
ABOUT NEW PROFIT
New Profit is a nonprofit venture philanthropy organization that backs breakthrough social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit’s strategy focuses on building a breakthrough portfolio of grantee-partners to take on entrenched systemic challenges in America, including by driving resources and support to Black, Indigenous, and Latino/a/x social entrepreneurs who have unique proximity to solutions, but face stark racial funding disparities in philanthropy; and investing in social entrepreneurs with new systems change models across a range of issues. Learn more at www.newprofit.org.
The Portfolio Investing team’s focus is to identify and support a portfolio of organizations demonstrating outstanding performance in four key areas: impact, equity and proximity, leadership, and sustainability. Our role is to identify the most promising social entrepreneurs and organizations for investment, ensure that we are providing them with excellent capacity building support, and develop and continually refine a set of tools and processes that support our grantees and the portfolio team in capturing their progress and our value add.
Are you interested in the use of data to improve social programs and advance equity? Do you love the insights you can derive from data? Do you like managing processes for the collection and synthesis of data? Are you proactive, organized, and detail-oriented? Do you bring a collaborative mindset and a “roll-up-your-sleeves” approach to your work? Are you looking to bring your passion for social change and equity to an organization working on the cutting edge of social entrepreneurship and philanthropy? If so, New Profit wants to talk to you about an exciting opportunity to join us as a Data Associate, on our Portfolio Investing team.
As a Data Associate on the Portfolio Investing team, you will provide operational, process management, and analytic support to multiple cross-portfolio support functions, with a focus on portfolio performance measurement and reporting. The Data Associate will support the Portfolio team’s efforts in building cutting-edge measurement tools and processes to advance the organization’s ability to diagnose portfolio organizations’ capabilities, monitor New Profit’s support to organizations, and measure our impact over time. They will also support the Portfolio team in ensuring that our portfolio assessment and performance measurement tools and activities reflect our values - especially advancing equity and continuous learning - and support our ultimate goals and mission. The Data Associate role will report to a Manager on the team and also provide occasional operational support across the team.
Portfolio Performance Measurement Key Activities
- Coordinate multiple data collection cycles from portfolio organizations as well as internally from senior staff on New Profit’s support activities to the portfolio.
- Conduct data audits and data cleaning for analysis and troubleshoot quantitative & qualitative data analysis processes
- Facilitate communications about data analysis by supporting the team in creating compelling reports and disseminating findings to relevant stakeholders.
- Support project management of new measurement initiatives, ensuring that projects stay on track and milestones are reached in a timely manner
- Support implementation of the Portfolio team’s strategy and its operational effectiveness through various activities and projects as needed.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
At New Profit we believe that performance measurement and data practices have historically played a role in maintaining inequitable and oppressive systems. The Data Associate will help us lead a new future for measurement in philanthropy that centers equity and supports rigorous learning and improvement. To do so you will bring:
- Passion and commitment to New Profit’s mission of advancing equity and opportunity for our country’s most marginalized communities
- You have 6-24 months of professional experience, including relevant internships
- You have strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- You are interested in the use of data to improve social programs (monitoring, evaluation, quality improvement, etc. Could be qualitative or quantitative.).
- You have the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, both verbally and in writing
- You are adaptable and able to manage multiple, changing priorities and stakeholders
- You’re happy to work collaboratively as well as independently
- You have moderate to advanced MS Excel skills (e.g., pivot tables) and are comfortable using both Google and Microsoft Office Suites
- Experience with relational database systems such as Salesforce, a plus.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter.
We are currently hiring for Associate (starting salary: $68,850) level candidates. The level is commensurate with years of experience and skill set.
As an equal opportunity employer, New Profit recognizes the power of a diverse community and strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. New Profit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
New Profit prioritizes the safety of its employees, and as a result, requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination(s) as a term of employment for all employees. The organization may make exceptions to this requirement in certain limited circumstances for medical or religious reasons.
Please no phone calls or direct emails.